Thursday, June 14, 2012

Decline to Review

The three pillars of academic life are research, teaching and service. (We don't consider endless faculty meetings to be a "pillar"; they're more like a pillory.) One aspect of service is performing (uncompensated) reviews for journals. I've gotten my share of requests, and usually accept the assignment. In fact, I'm working on one now. Sometimes, though, I just have to turn one down, as the following redacted exchange demonstrates.

Reviewer response form:


Editor's reply:


There's more to the story, but the rest will cost you a beer at some conference.

4 comments:

  1. So, if you'd been FIRST author, would you have agreed to do the review??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Had I been lead author, I'd have slapped myself. But (as you know) I should have done the review in any case.

      Delete
  2. What journal is that they do this on paper?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The journal in question now does this electronically. The paper form is at least 10 years old. (I came across it while cleaning out files.)

      Delete

Due to intermittent spamming, comments are being moderated. If this is your first time commenting on the blog, please read the Ground Rules for Comments. In particular, if you want to ask an operations research-related question not relevant to this post, consider asking it on Operations Research Stack Exchange.